Natural: made with natural as opposed to synthetic-derived ingredients. (Lumina and KlearSkin serums are partially preserved with .5% phenoxyethanol, designated by strict EU standards as appropriate for cosmetics up to a 1% potency.)
Vegan: no animal by-products.
Organic: ingredients derived from plants and vegetables that have been organically grown without the use of pesticides, herbicides, etc.
- GreenSky products vary from 81-98% organic certified ingredients, with oils having the highest percentage.
- The remaining ingredients are mostly non-active stabilizers and emulsifiers like stearic acid and xanthan gum.
- Some of skin care’s most cherished ingredients, including hyaluronic acid, CoQ10, MSM, and peptides, are highly processed compounds seldom certified as organic.
Cruelty-free: animals are not used for purposes of product testing
Active Ingredient: The FDA defines an active ingredient as a drug. These would include zinc oxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and benzoyl peroxide.
- In broader terms, an active ingredient in skin care is one that has been shown by science to improve the skin in some way, as opposed to inactive ingredients whose purpose is to preserve, emulsify, or add fragrance to a product.
- If a product has 10 active topicals, it means there are 10 ingredients with scientific data behind them proving their efficacy in skin care.
- The line between the FDA’s definition of active (a drug) and skin care’s definition of active (improves the skin) is becoming less distinct as science discovers the skin-changing effects of many non-drug cosmetic ingredients, including hyaluronic acid, peptides, lauric acid, CBD, and retinol.
What We Don’t Use: parabens, phthalates, GMOs, artificial fragrances.
- Nothing forbidden by the California Safe Cosmetics Act
- Nothing on WholeFood’s Premium Body Care Unacceptable Ingredients
- Nothing on the Clean at Sephora forbidden ingredients list.
What We Do Use:
- Twelve organic oils whose vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants form the basis of good skin care: argan, jojoba, coconut, carrot seed, sunflower seed, grape seed, olive, marula, tea tree, hemp, meadowfoam seed, and castor
- Five collagen builders: palmitoyl tripeptide-38 (Matrixyl Senthe’6), hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, vitamin A, provitamin A (precursor to retinol)
- Five anti-aging actives: CoQ10, DMAE, MSM, CBD, and palmitoyl tripeptide-38
- Six antioxidants: CBD, vitamin E, vitamin C, green tea, CoQ10, and alpha lipoic acid
- Three active humectants: hyaluronic acid, glycerin, aloe vera
- Nine extracts including green tea, bilberry, pomegranate, and rooibos leaf
- Four (subtle) fragrances: organic rose otto oil from Bulgaria, jasmine absolute sambac and organic sandalwood oil from India, organic lavender oil from Bulgaria
Detailed List of Ingredients by category (PDF)